Lead/Senior Mechanical Engineer
Our Reference: J63322
Job Terms: Salaried
Job Category: Aerospace
Role: Lead/Senior Mechanical Engineer
Employment Term: Permanent
A prestigious Aerospace & Defence company is currently seeking an experienced Lead/Senior Mechanical Engineer to join their expanding team in Crawley.
The role will require the engineer to operate within multi-functional project/product teams. The mechanical design of complex, high performance sub-systems in short timescales requires the use of advanced engineering tools - those in use include leading products such as Pro/Engineer 3D CAD, Flotherm CFD and Creo Simulate or Pro/Mechanica FEA.
Primary Purpose of the Job:
To make a contribution to the achievement of project(s) requirements by having a responsibility for the packaging of Military and Commercial electronic equipment to meet the operational requirements of airborne, seaborne, submarine and land based environments.
Operating within multi-functional project teams you will be responsible for meeting timescale and budget of agreed tasks. Depending on the size of the project you may report to the Mechanical Team Leader and/or Engineering Manager or Work Package Leader.
- Theoretical assessment of the design and its associated requirements to ensure that equipment performance requirements are met, including structural, dynamic and thermal analyses.
- Support the project engineering team - liaise with, and support other disciplines.
- Report on progress.
- Comply with local and company processes and procedures.
- Relevant design experience in a similar field with a good understanding of computer techniques, ideally a Pro/Engineer or Creo CAD user.
- The candidate shall have a proven ability to undertake structural and thermal analysis, ideally using FEA (Creo Simulate or Pro-Mechanica) and CFD tools (Flotherm).
- Working knowledge of MoD procedures and specifications.
- Experience in the direction and encouragement of mechanical designers and in working closely in cooperation with associated project engineers of various disciplines.
- Experience in the design of equipment for military environments eg 19” racks, cardframes, modules, and antennas.
- Experience in designing for shock, vibration and EMC.
- Good knowledge of materials and finishes for harsh environments.
- Experience in design of composite structures
Degree in mechanical/aeronautical engineering, alternatively HNC/HND with full membership of the IMechE and/or RAeS.
- A good team player with good communication skills.
- Flexible and able to work with minimum supervision.
Candidate MUST hold a valid Security Clearance (SC level) before starting in the role.
To apply for this position please click on the 'Apply Now' button or send a copy of your latest CV to Oliver Hickmott.
Tel.: +44 (0) 1772 645 076
Mob.: +44 (0) 7713 313 187